Application and Scholarships
In order to enroll in the Ph.D. program, candidates must pass a public competition regulated by a specific Call for Applications. Multiple application rounds are held per year, with deadlines typically around September and December. The competition is open to applicants who hold a Laurea Magistrale /Specialistica or a foreign Master’s Degree (See the specific requirements below) recognized as equivalent to the mentioned Italian degrees.
Applications are now open for the first 35 positions, the instruction to apply are available on the official page (https://www.poliba.it/it/dottorati-di-ricerca) and here.
Required application attachments (Note that only the official templates for the required attachments must be used):
- A detailed curriculum vitae including research experience, project experiences, and/or any previous publications (official template: Modello CV (Italiano) – CV Layout (English version));
- A valid identification document;
- Degree qualification certification for first (Bachelor) degrees and second (specialization/Master’s) degrees (official template: Titoli di Laurea con voti ed esami (Italiano) – Degree qualifications with exams self declaration form (English version));
- An abstract of the thesis of the specialist/Master’s degree (or five-year Single Cycle degree);
- The candidate’s Master’s degree thesis (or five-year Single Cycle degree);
- A Ph.D. research proposal according to one of the available scholarships (official template: ALLEGATO H_FORMAT PROPOSTA DI RICERCA_DAUSY);
Optional application attachments (Note that only the official templates for the required attachments must be used):
- A self-certification for any other qualification deemed suitable for evaluation (official template: Dichiarazione altri titoli (Italiano) – Other qualifications self declaration form (English version));
- Two letters of presentation from professors or researchers in Italy or abroad;
- Language certification;
- Any publications.
Italian candidates may be required to provide additional self-declarations. Please refer to the official call for application for additional details.
The deadline for the application is September 5th, 2022, 9 AM (CEST).
The 35 positions currently open for the year 2022 are reported in the following table.
|N||Research theme||Curriculum||Hosting institution||Contact||Research period abroad||Research center/company/P.A.|
|1||Prof. Mariagrazia Dotoli (email@example.com)|
|2||Dr. Fabrizio Dabbene (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|3||Prof. Federica Pascucci (email@example.com)|
|4||Prof. Francesco Basile (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
(to be defined)
|5||Prof. Chiara Mocenni (email@example.com)|
(to be defined)
(to be defined)
|6||Prof. Mariagrazia Dotoli (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|7||Prof. Mariagrazia Dotoli (email@example.com)|
|8||Prof. Giuseppe Calafiore (Giuseppe.firstname.lastname@example.org)|
*Note that IMT offers free board and lodging for Ph.D. students during the course.
|Prof. Alberto Bemporad (email@example.com)|
|10||Prof. Gianfranco Parlangeli (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
The admission exam consists of:
- An assessment of qualifications held (average exam marks, final degree mark, theses, Master’s degrees, post-graduate courses, language certification, publications, etc.);
- An assessment of the Ph.D. research proposal;
- An interview to ensure a complete evaluation of the candidate and to verify the applicant’s aptitude for research and willingness to undertake experience abroad and areas of research interest.
If English is not your native language, you need to demonstrate a degree of proficiency corresponding, at least, to the B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Knowledge of Italian is preferred but not required.
Candidates must hold an M.Sc. degree, preferably in Systems and Control, Electrical Engineering, Artificial intelligence (AI), Mechanical Engineering, or related subjects. Moreover, candidates should fit the following profile:
- Being a talented and enthusiastic young researcher;
- Strong background in the fields of control systems;
- Strong academic background and rich experience in engineering systems, embedded systems, and system design;
- Good programming skills in MATLAB/Simulink and/or Python;
- Being a team player with excellent communication and cooperation skills, in a dynamic and multi-disciplinary project-driven environment;
- Creativity and ambition, hard-working and persistent mindset;
- Ability to independently organize your work;
- Good scientific writing skills.
Scholarships and fees for 2022/23
Scholarships for 2022/23 are determined as follows:
|Net scholarship for research periods in Italy||about 1200 €/month|
|Net scholarship for research periods abroad||about 1800 €/month|
|Research budget 20% (total in the 3 years)*||about 12000 €|
*The research budget can be used for registrations for on-site and online conferences; photocopies; posters; textbooks; computers and related equipment; expenses for publishing publications and language courses.
**Taxes are calculated based on the Italian ISEE (Equivalent Financial Situation Index).