Ph.D. students are required to carry out activities for an amount of 60 ECTS (CFU) per year, for a total of 180 ECTS throughout the academic course. The activities carried out by Ph.D. students are divided into:
- Didactic activities: min 36 – max 60 ECTS (of the total 180 ECTS), preferably in the first two years of the course.
- Research activities: min 120 – max 144 ECTS (of the 180 total ECTS)
The ECTS related to the didactic activity can be obtained, for instance, by attending courses and seminars from graduate schools or master’s degree programs. The DAUSY teaching-course catalogue (http://dausy.poliba.it/Ph.D./teaching-course-catalogue/) comprehends a list of didactic activities that can be included in this plan. Didactive activities are divided into:
- Ph.D. courses: these are courses offered at the Ph.D. level usually by doctoral schools (e.g., DAUSY Courses, Poliba ScuDo Courses, SIDRA Summer School Courses, EECI IGSC Courses, Partner Universities Ph.D. Courses, etc.).
- Master’s degree courses: maximum of 18 ECTS can be obtained by master’s degree courses or single-cycle degree courses if these have not been attended by the Ph.D. student during his/her second-level education.
- Soft skills: maximum of 12 ECTS can be obtained by courses classified as “soft skills” after the authorization of the Academic Board.
- Participation to seminars: participation to seminars related to the research program is considered a didactic activity (5 hours of seminar = 1.5 ECTS).
- Participation to international congresses or workshops: participation at international congresses and workshops is considered a didactic activity (1 international congress/workshop day = 1 ECTS).
- Presentation of research products at international congresses or workshops: presentation of a research product at international congresses and workshops is considered a didactic activity(1 presentation = 2 ECTS).
- At least 18 ECTS (of the total 180 ECTS) of didactic activities (A) and (B) must be obtained by completing a final exam.
- For all courses (A) and (B) the 50% of the total course ECTS is recognized in case the final exam is not completed.
- Didactic activities must be confirmed with attendance certificates.
- A 6-ECTS course, given in a master’s degree course, can be attended by the Ph.D. student who can receive 3 ECTS if he/she does not complete the final exam (in this case the attendance must be certified).
- If a Ph.D. student attends a 5-day conference presenting a scientific contribution, he/she will obtain 5 ECTS for the participation and additional 2 ECTS for the conference contribution (the certification is required for both the attendance and the presentation).
Please refer to the Educational regulations of the Doctoral School of Politecnico di Bari and our guidelines for more details.
Ph.D. students can choose the didactic activities, in accordance with their supervisor, from the teaching-course catalog of the DAUSY Ph.D. program that includes courses offered in international, national, and local doctoral schools, offering a unique educational network.
The teaching-course catalog of the DAUSY Ph.D. program includes the following courses.
|Final Exam||Cost||Teaching mode|
|DAUSY Courses||Courses with a final examination||Free||Hybrid (online/in presence)|
|DAUSY Seminars||Free||Hybrid (online/in presence)|
|SIDRA Summer School Courses||Courses with a (optional) final examination||Registration fee||In presence|
|EECI International Graduate School in Control Courses||Courses with a (optional) final examination||Registration fee||In presence|
|Poliba Scudo Courses||Courses with a (optional) final examination||Free|
|Partner Universities Courses||Courses with a (optional) final examination||Free||Hybrid (online/in presence)|
|Other Teaching Activities||Free|